With Sam, I waited until Owen was a couple months old and Sam had JUST turned 2. I tried for about a month and he would just not get it. It was so tiring changing a baby's diaper AND a toddler's clothes. I used pull-ups more than I should have during the day and not just at sleeping times. After he had an accident on the Teachey's floor at a playgroup, I decided to throw in the towel and give up on the whole month's "progress".
With Owen, he's been interested in the potty for a while and has gone potty almost every night before bathtime/bedtime. He's watching Sam and wants to be a big boy.
I jumped on the opportunity with him this past week and it's been really sweet, honestly. I'm so proud of him and I just love to kiss his little cheeks everytime he reaches for me on the potty and says "I ALL done!" We've used Gerber training pants so he can feel when he has an accident, but it's not all over the place like it would be with underwear. He got sick the second day with a tummy bug and it's been really challenging. We rolled up our living room rug and just let him go for it. Sometimes he goes in the potty and sometimes he doesn't. We just run him upstairs to the bathtub and disinfect our hardwood floors as needed. I think he's finally feeling better today and we even ran errands and ate dinner at Chick-fil-A without an accident! Hooray! But, we had 2 accidents when we got home before bed.
I refuse to give up this time! I really think he can do it and I really want him to be diaper-free!
Here's a good resource that I just re-read, but I haven't been following. This girl's husband is on staff with the same ministry as Michael, but in D.C. I think I'll do some more of these things tomorrow. Praising them for being dry is a great suggestion!

http://www.littlellamas.com/2009/08/potty-training-101.html
you go woman!!!! you enjoy the summer not changing diapers =) Hang in there, the mommy has the hardest part!
ReplyDeletego owen!!! you can do it!!! :)
ReplyDeletei checked out carey's blog- had no idea she had one! looks pretty big! tanya and i used the same book she did for our first pt experiences (with abby, but not sure if tanya used it for blake or drew now that i think of it.) it was super hard, and i did not have the same success rate that she had, but i think a lot of the principles are great! i need to revisit it before i tackle that chore again- not excited about it. i think i would rather just send the boys to a pt bootcamp and pick 'em up when its over. *sigh*
We are in the midst of potty training Samuel right now and not having much luck. Although, this morning he snuck by me and went to the bathroom saying, "I go potty." He went a little. I was so proud of him for going without the initiative from me...But then he had two big accidents just 10 minutes later on the floor. Thanks for the suggestions and the link. Couldn't have come at a better time! Love you, friend!
ReplyDelete