Tuesday, November 01, 2005

On a related Starbucks note

I don't know if we've mentioned on the blog that I (Michael) am now working at Starbucks 3 days a week (while we continue support raising and some involvement in ministry work at GT). For a part-time job, it's really working out well. I'm on campus, working mostly with students, instead of having a job that would pull me away from campus.

And, speaking of Russians and Starbucks (see previous post and linked article), yesterday while I was working the register, two people speaking Russian approached. When the lady turned her attention to me, I asked her in Russian-- "Where are you from?" She was caught a little off guard, but then responded in Russian-- "from Russia." We exchanged several lines in Russian, including her purchase total, payment, thanks and change. It was a neat treat for me to speak a little Russian, and I was encouraged by how quickly I was able to slip into it. It felt pretty natural. I would have been at a loss for vocabulary had the conversation developed, but for just a short purchase, it was really cool.

3 comments:

  1. That's really really cool! I run through the Russian numbers 1-10 in my head from time to time. I still remember a couple of phrases and metro stops. (Most of the phrases I recall are from the recorded voices in the metro telling you to "be careful" and "the next station is _____.") :o)

    On a related Russian note, I thought I saw "curly Lena" on campus today here in Raleigh. I mean, not really. Mostly I just saw hair that was exactly like hers (in color and degree of frizz), and it reminded me of her. After that I was on the bus and some girl walking on the sidewalk looked like Julia Y. (no idea how to spell her last name... not even 100% sure it starts with "y") So those are my recent reminisces of Russia.

    Glad Starbuck's is working out for you, Mishka. (sp?) Can't wait to see Ambie's costume pics!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome about the Russian. Mina davut Del. Spaseba. Bajolsta. I am working with a lady from Russia at restaurant. Her name is Olga. I also speak to people with Spanish and love it. I can definitely see the two of you back overseas in the future. Love you brother.

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,
    It does not surprise me a bit that the Russian language came back to you so easily. You've definitely got a thing for languages!
    Mmmmm...Starbucks! I think I've forgotten what a Mocha tastes like.

    ReplyDelete