"'God is love' (1 John 4:16). First of all, for the sake of clarity, this sentence is to be read with the emphasis on the word God, whereas we have fallen into the habit of emphasizing the word love. God is love; that is to say not a human attitude, a conviction or a deed, but God Himself is love. Only he who knows God knows what love is; it is not the other way around; it is not that we first of all by nature know what love is and therefore know also what God is. No one knows God unless God reveals Himself to him. And so no one knows what love is except in the self-revelation of God. Love, then, is the revelation of God. And the revelation of God is Jesus Christ."
-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Ethics
Just recently I've started this book, and I really like it. I'm not going to post too much here, given the purpose and nature of our update page; but if anyone would like to hear more about it, I'd be happy to discuss.
No comments:
Post a Comment