Friday, February 19, 2010

Ministry-Being a Mom!

Some of you read Kelly's Korner, and I wanted to weigh in on her "Show us your life-Ministry" day.

My ministry right now is to love and disciple 2 boys. I am called to love and respect my husband, be a homemaker, friend, daughter, etc. I have a lot of roles right now. I'm trying to do them all well, but I always fail in some way, especially when I try to do it in my own strength.

I've had some thoughts on ministry and my role in that area, though. What does it mean to disciple someone, especially 2 little boys? Discipleship involves a lot, but I guess I would summarize it to mean helping them know Jesus, become like Him, and make Him known. I, of course, have not "arrived" in this, but I do want Him to use me in my boys' lives, as well as others. I desire to love, discipline and teach them well. I'm constantly evaluating and asking other Moms questions about how to do this well. I'm a work in progress! One practical example is teaching Owen that he can't turn over while I'm changing his diaper. He needs to know he can trust me and that he can't do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. The world does not revolve around him. (It sounds funny, but this everyday stuff really does matter! It's why I stay home with them!)

If we are Christians, then we all have a ministry wherever He has placed us. Some people have a ministry vocationally, but most have one in their work or relationships. I can have ministry with other Moms in my neighborhood in addition to my children.

My husband works for Campus Outreach Atlanta, and his ministry is to Georgia Tech college students. He does this as his job, but he's so convinced about discipleship, he ministers to anyone God places in his life. He's always coming home with stories of conversations with friends, coffee shop owners, peers, and students.

If we walk in the Spirit, He will use us. He has given us relationships and opportunities for a reason...His glory. We are not robots; He loves to use us in His work even though He could do it all with out us. It's so gracious of Him to include us!

5 comments:

  1. i have the same diaper changing table issue with dax. how do you handle it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!! i can't believe Sam weighed that much!! i remember you were miserable toward the end of your pregnancy!!! did you have a c section? i can't remember!!???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe-sorry I'm just replying. I usually talk to him like he can understand every word and tell him he needs to stay on his back and obey. (Talking to them really helps because they get the idea from context and it helps them learn.) I just grab his little legs and say all this firmly. I usually have to put him back on his back multiple times. He's getting the hang of it, though. Parenting can be so exhausting! :) so worth it, though!
    Jamie-YES! HE WAS A BEAST! I did have a c-section because he never came in the birth canal...just floated up there. Turns out his head was huge and still is! I love him anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so thankful to be your friend, Amber. Thanks for the encouragement;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is pretty much what i do as well. thanks for letting me know how you handle it!

    ReplyDelete